Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Any of several styles of small, close-fitting hats having no brim or a very short brim, especially:
a. A usually black, velvet cap with a narrow, rolled brim and often an ornamental plume, worn especially in France in the 16th century.
b. See tuque.
2. A hat, usually white, having a tall pleated crown and no brim and traditionally worn by chefs.
[French, from Spanish toca, from Iberian Vulgar Latin *tauca (compare Portuguese touca, toque, and obsolete Basque (dialect of Navarre) taika, nun's bonnet), probably of pre-Roman Iberian origin.]
American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright ? 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's small round brimless hat, popular esp in Edwardian times
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a hat with a small brim and a pouched crown, popular in the 16th century
3. (Clothing & Fashion) Canadian same as tuque2
4. (Clothing & Fashion) a chef's tall white hat
[C16: from French, from Old Spanish toca headdress, probably from Basque tauka hat]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 ? HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
toque(toʊk or, esp. for 3, Can. tuk)
1. a soft, brimless, close-fitting hat for women, in any of several shapes.
2. a tall white hat worn by chefs.
3. a velvet hat with a narrow brim, a full crown, and usu. a plume, worn by men and women in the 16th century.
[1495–1505; < Middle French; orig. obscure]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, ? 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||toque - a tall white hat with a pouched crown; worn by chefs|
|2.||toque - a small round woman's hat|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. ? 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 ? William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 ? HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Toque f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. ? William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 ? HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007